**More pictures below**
When MasterCraft changed the X-Star in 2003, some scoffed. The creation of the unconventional design was a revolutionary step in the boat industry. Since then, the folks at MasterCraft have had the last laugh as they try to crank out enough of these all-star wakeboarding boats to satisfy the overwhelming demand.
To call this 100-inch-beam boat a “party barge” would betray its world-class wakeboarding performance, but you can’t escape the fact that the X-Star gets high marks for enhancing the social vibe. The double-pointed “Superfly” bow design opens up the front for more seating space. The Driver’s Command Center is also spacious and progressive, with the bullet-shaped X-Pod housing gauges for the tachometer, speedometer and Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro.
Passenger seats on both sides rise like the doors on a Lamborghini to reveal enough storage capacity to stow multiple wakeboards (or the broken bodies of your comrades after they’ve hit the X-Star’s humongous double-ups). Since the ballast tanks are internal, there is room for loads of gear under the rear sun pad.
It shouldn’t be a surprise that tour pros have been raving about the setup they get with this boat. MasterCraft engineers built this hull from the water level down, making their first priority elite-level wakes. The result is terraced chines and a wide, tapered V-bottom that throws up massive yet clean wakes that have been a perennial pro favorite. Not only are the transitions long and buttery, with ideally sculpted ramps, but double-ups — despite their massive size — are very smooth. With the ramps the X-Star produces, pro riders are pulling off bigger, cleaner maneuvers in competition, solidifying the X-Star’s growing legend in the sport.
• New billet aluminum detail board racks come equipped with a clamping mechanism rather than cumbersome bungees, and swiveling pivots help pull in the boards when it’s time to hit it.
• Turning responsiveness becomes a little slower with full-on ballast, but the payoff in wakes is worth it.
• A retractable bow ladder and 10-gallon bow cooler enhance the chill factor.
• The built-in Pure Vert Triple Tank ballast has analog gauges to show you your weight
• This year’s crop of X-Stars comes with edgy new graphics.